My favorite Mac & Cheese is a recipe I found in my favorite Betty Crocker book years ago.
I love it because it is easy & tastes great.
It uses Worcestershire sauce & dry, ground mustard which gives it a yummy flavor.
Baked Mac & Cheese
- 2 c. uncooked elbow macaroni (7 oz.)
- 1/4 c. margarine or butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard (dry)
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded or cubed sharp Cheddar cheese or desired cheese (8 oz.)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook Macaroni as directed on package.
- While macaroni is cooking, melt margarine in a 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard, & Worcestershire sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth & bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute. Stir in cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Drain the macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into the cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Note: I usually double this recipe and bake it in a glass 9X13 pan.
I hope you love it as much as I do.